S 2925 and H.R. 5575 bill authorizes the U.S. Department of Justice's Office of Justice Programs to award six one-year block grants, renewable up to three years, of $2,500,000 each to eligible entities in different regions of the United States to combat sex trafficking and provide shelter and services to child sex trafficking victims. Grants will be used for:
1. Victim Services
Long term/temporary shelter and services to minor victims of sex trafficking to cover daily necessities for minor victims of sex trafficking
Case management, physical and mental health services for minor victims of sex trafficking
2. Legal services for minor victims of sex trafficking
Develop cooperation and specialized training of law enforcement and services providers
3. Education programs
Deterrence and prevention of sex trafficking of minors
""Encouraging states to enact safe harbor laws that presume a minor found in prostitution is a victim of a severe form of trafficking"
What You Can Do:
1. Determine who your two U.S. senators are. Then, take just a moment to contact each of them, and urge them to cosponsor S. 2925. Below is a sample you can use or Personalize your message for the greatest impact:
“Hi, my name is [ ], and I am the Senator's constituent. I am calling to urge the senator to co-sponsor S.2925, “The Trafficking Deterrence and Victims Support Act of 2009” , introduced by Senator Wyden, which will help to address sex trafficking of minors in the US. Specifically, it will provide much needed grants to 6 state and local government entities to increase law enforcement efforts against sex trafficking of minors, and ensure that child victims are provided with the services and help that they need. Will the Senator cosponsor and support this important legislation?"
Here is Bill Summary.
2. Determine who your representative is in the House. Then, please call your Representative and urge him or her to co-sponsor H.R. 5575, "The Domestic Minor Sex Trafficking Deterrence and Victim Support Act of 2010", sponsored by Representative Maloney.
3. Please follow up your calls with a short email to your Senators and your Representative to restate your message urging them to cosponsor this critical legislation.
4. Pass this information to your friends and neighbors and urge them to join the cause!